Tsitsipas to meet Zverev in French Open semis after beating Medvedev
Stefanos Tsitsipas has reached the French Open semifinals for the second year in a row.
The No. 5-seeded Tsitsipas beat No. 2 Daniil Medvedev 6-3, 7-6 (3), 7-5 in Court Philippe Chatrier on Tuesday night.
The 22-year-old from Greece moved into his fourth Grand Slam semifinal. He is 0-3 so far, including a loss at Roland Garros to Novak Djokovic in 2020.
Tsitsipas will face No. 6 Alexander Zverev on Friday for a berth in the final.
Medvedev went up a break in the third set. But Tsitsipas got even and then broke after being down 40-love in the last game to end it. He closed his victory with a passing shot winner off a return when Medvedev went toward the net behind an underarm serve on match point.
- History-chasing Djokovic breezes into Tokyo quarters, will meet Nishikori
- 'I can die': Medvedev survives extreme heat at Tokyo Games
- Djokovic into medal round after dispatching home favorite Nishikori
- Fognini apologizes for homophobic slur in Olympic loss
- Tsitsipas looking to extend family legacy at Olympics