Collins beats Ruse in Palermo final for 1st WTA title
PALERMO, Italy (AP) — Top-seeded Danielle Collins won her first WTA title on Sunday, beating qualifier Elena-Gabriela Ruse 6-4, 6-2 in the Palermo Ladies Open final.
The 44th-ranked Collins was playing in her first career final while her opponent was aiming for her second title in two weeks.
The 27-year-old American lost a three-set quarterfinal to Ruse two weeks ago in Hamburg, where the Romanian went on to win as a qualifier.
Collins, who did not drop a set at the tournament, is the 14th first-time singles champion so far this WTA season.
More AP sports: https://apnews.com/hub/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Djokovic not ready to step aside as new generation emerges
- Putin hails Medvedev's 'brilliant' win over Djokovic in US Open final
- Medvedev says celebration was nod to FIFA game
- Serbia cries with Djokovic over lost chance to make history
- Djokovic falls short of historic calendar Slam as Medvedev wins US Open