Nadal starts bid for 21st Grand Slam with win over Giron
Rafael Nadal has renewed his bid for a record 21st Grand Slam singles title with a 6-1, 6-4, 6-2 win over American Marcos Giron.
Nadal, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic are tied with 20 major singles titles each. Federer is not playing due to his lengthy recovery from right knee surgery, and nine-time champion Djokovic was deported from Australia on Sunday due to problems with his visa, his COVID-19 vaccination status, and a court hearing which didn’t go his way.
Nadal is also bidding to become the second man in the Open Era — and only the fourth man — to win each of the four Grand Slam singles titles twice. Djokovic completed the double by winning his second title at Roland Garros in 2021. Australians Roy Emerson and Rod Laver are the only other men to have won each Grand Slam on two or more occasions.
- Djokovic backs ATP's decision to strip points from Wimbledon
- Curtain comes down on Tsonga's career after French Open defeat
- Medvedev: Wimbledon ban's impact on ranking 'very strange'
- Djokovic kicks off title defense in Paris with comfortable win
- Nadal makes quick work of 1st-round opponent at French Open