Ronaldo strikes late to help Manchester United reach UCL knockouts
Ronaldo's smooth volley off a broken play in the 78th minute opened the scoring, and Jadon Sancho finally netted his first goal for United in the 90th with a powerful shot that ricocheted off the crossbar.
The goals, combined with Atalanta's 3-3 draw with Young Boys, assured United of first place in Group F. The Red Devils have 10 points heading into the final matchday, with Villarreal sitting on seven and Atalanta on six. United hold the head-to-head advantage over the Spanish side.
(Available to view in U.S. only)
(Available to view in Canada only)
Michael Carrick also celebrated his first match as interim manager with the win. Carrick is serving in a caretaker capacity as the club searches for a permanent replacement for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who left his role Sunday following a 4-1 loss to Watford.
- FIFA awards: Lewandowski, Putellas win top honors; Lamela claims Puskas
- Preview, predictions for Champions League round of 16
- Record 77,000 tickets sold for women's El Clasico at Camp Nou
- FIFA: Value of football transfers hit 5-year low in 2021
- No Ronaldo as Salah joins Messi, Lewandowski on FIFA award shortlist