Players plot social media boycott over racial abuse
Michael Regan / Getty Images Sport / Getty

Professional footballers in England and Wales are set to spurn social media for 24 hours starting Friday to protest a lack of support from authorities and social network platforms in combating racism.

Manchester United veteran Ashley Young was the latest subject of abuse online, which prompted the introduction of the #Enough campaign by the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA), according to BBC Sport.

Watford forward Troy Deeney, who disabled comments on his Instagram account after receiving abuse earlier this month, decided "enough is enough."

"On Friday we are sending a message to anyone that abuses players - or anyone else - whether from the crowd or online, that we won't tolerate it within football," Deeney said. "The boycott is just one small step, but the players are speaking out with one voice against racism."

Tottenham and England full-back Danny Rose was also the victim of racist chants while on international duty in Montenegro. The veteran defender later said he "can't wait to see the back of football."

"I don't want any future players to go through what I've been through in my career," Rose said. "Collectively, we are simply not willing to stand by while too little is done by football authorities and social media companies to protect players from this disgusting abuse."

According to the PFA, the boycott is the "first step in a longer campaign to tackle racism in football."

The campaign will begin Friday at 4:00 a.m. ET (9:00 a.m. BST) and continue until the same time Saturday morning. Players are encouraged to post a #Enough image on their social media channels before the boycott.

Comments
Players plot social media boycott over racial abuse
  Got something to say? Leave a comment below!
Daily Newsletter
Get the latest trending sports news daily in your inbox