After reportedly setting Opening Day as a deadline to negotiate an extension with the Mets, the reigning NL Cy Young winner revealed Thursday that he'll consider working under a self-imposed innings limit - to protect himself for his eventual free agency - if no deal is reached.
"You play this game because you love it and then you have an opportunity to look out for your family and your future, so you have to see what's right for you to do, and I think that's a discussion that’s going to have to be had with my agents," deGrom told reporters, according to Mike Puma of the New York Post.
"I'm going to have to sit down with them (my agents) and really see what they think is best for me moving forward," he continued, according to NorthJersey.com's Matt Ehalt.
DeGrom has been represented by CAA's Jeff Berry since October. His former agent, Brodie Van Wagenen, was hired as the Mets' general manager.
Van Wagenen acknowledged the Opening Day deadline to strike a deal with his former client earlier this week while confirming that he's had "dialogue" with deGrom. However, the novice executive noted Thursday that there's still a long way to go before a deal is reached.
"No offers (have been) made yet on either side," Van Wagenen said, according to Puma. "Jacob is 100 percent of our future now and hopefully for years to come.
"Offers in contract negotiations can be complicated processes. There needs to be analysis done on the club's side and on the player's side. We are still going through our considerations on the club side."
DeGrom, who was named the Mets' Opening Day starter on Thursday, will earn $17 million in 2019 after avoiding arbitration last month. He's not eligible for free agency until after the 2020 season.