Report: Mets refuse to release Mesoraco, place him on restricted list
Michael Reaves / Getty Images Sport / Getty

Devin Mesoraco and the New York Mets are at an impasse.

Mesoraco, who was in camp with the Mets on a minor-league contract, refused to report to Triple-A Syracuse on Monday after being told he didn't make the team out of spring training. He asked the Mets for his release but the team is refusing to honor that request and will instead place him on the restricted list, MLB Network's Jon Heyman reports.

Earlier Monday, the New York Post's Mike Puma reported Mesoraco is considering retirement rather than playing in Triple-A.

Mesoraco's minor-league deal doesn't contain any opt-out clauses, according to Cot's Contracts, so the Mets are under no obligation to grant him his release. However, the 30-year-old is under the impression that the Mets reneged on a promise to bring him north on the Opening Day roster.

"The part that's little troubling for me is what Devin was told before he signed, if the team signed with three catchers then you're the guy and if (Travis) d'Arnaud is not ready then you're the guy," Mesoraco's agent BB Abbott told SNY's Andy Martino.

"He feels as if he was - not misled, because the team certainly had a right to make whatever decisions they wanted on personnel. But with what was communicated to Devin, I would think they might be willing to make an exception."

Abbott also said Mesoraco is not disputing the Mets' roster decision or their right to send him to Triple-A, and that he'd be willing to go to the minors with another team if there's a clearer path to the majors.

The eight-year veteran was an All-Star with the Cincinnati Reds in 2014. New York acquired him from Cincinnati for Matt Harvey in May 2018, after which he slashed .222/.306/.409 with 10 homers for the Mets.

He hit just .231 (6-for-26) with a homer and six strikeouts during spring training.

With Mesoraco headed to the restricted list, the Mets now have three catchers on their 40-man roster in Wilson Ramos, Travis d'Arnaud, and Tomas Nido. D'Arnaud is expected to begin the season on the injured list, meaning Nido will serve as the backup to Ramos.

New York acquired some additional depth behind the plate Monday by agreeing to a minor-league contract with veteran catcher Rene Rivera, sources told Joel Sherman of the New York Post. The 35-year-old, who previously played for the Mets from 2016 to 2017, was released by the San Francisco Giants on Saturday.

Rivera is likely to be assigned to Triple-A, according to Anthony DiComo of MLB.com.

Comments
Report: Mets refuse to release Mesoraco, place him on restricted list
  Got something to say? Leave a comment below!
Daily Newsletter
Get the latest trending sports news daily in your inbox