Twins' Maeda undergoes Tommy John surgery
The 33-year-old pitcher also had an internal brace put into his elbow. The brace could potentially shorten his recovery timeline to 9-12 months from the typical 12-16 months, according to The Athletic's Dan Hayes.
Minnesota announced Maeda would undergo some kind of season-ending elbow surgery last week, noting that it wouldn't be clear what type of procedure he required until the surgery was underway.
Maeda was 6-5 with a 4.66 ERA in 21 starts this season. In 2020, he finished second in American League Cy Young voting for the Twins after going 6-1 with a 2.70 ERA and 0.75 WHIP.
- Braves oust Dodgers, clinch 1st World Series appearance since 1999
- Braves' Rosario named NLCS MVP after record performance
- MLB's best home plate umpires aren't working its biggest games
- Astros owner wants to move past sign-stealing saga: 'We owned it'
- Scherzer watches, Buehler struggles as Dodgers' season ends