Report: Jays tried to extend Semien, will approach Ray in offseason
Toronto also reportedly plans to talk with left-hander Robbie Ray about a new contract during the offseason.
Both players are slated to become free agents following the 2021 campaign. Semien signed a one-year, $18-million pact last winter, while Ray inked a one-year, $8-million deal.
Semien has hit a career-high 34 home runs with 81 RBIs and 14 stolen bases this season entering Sunday's action. The 30-year-old has also accrued the second-highest fWAR (5.5) in baseball.
Ray is enjoying a career year while vaulting into American League Cy Young contention. The 29-year-old has produced an AL-best 2.71 ERA with a 1.01 WHIP and 202 strikeouts over 159 1/3 innings.
- Riley lifts Braves past Dodgers in Game 1 of NLCS
- Red Sox blast 2 grand slams in rout of Astros, draw even in ALCS
- Astros' Garcia removed in 2nd inning of Game 2 with knee injury
- Are the Giants a one-hit wonder or a sustainable success story?
- Report: Mets unlikely to hire Brewers' Stearns, Athletics' Beane