Blue Jackets sign Merzlikins to 5-year, $27M extension
Merzlikins will play out the 2021-22 campaign on his current deal, which pays him $4 million. His extension kicks in for 2022-23.
"Goaltending is a position of strength for our team and Elvis Merzlikins has been an important part of that over the past two seasons so we are very excited to have agreed to terms on a contract extension that will keep him in Columbus for at least the next six years," said general manager Jarmo Kekalainen.
He added: "He is big, athletic, and has a tremendous passion for the game and we believe he will be an integral part of our success in the coming years."
Columbus drafted Merzlikins in the third round in 2014. He broke into the NHL in 2019-20 and has posted a .920 save percentage across 61 appearances.
- Senators' Murray headed to IR, Pinto to miss 1-2 weeks
- Muzzin laments Leafs' blowout loss to Penguins: 'It's inexcusable'
- Watch: Seattle welcomes Kraken, boos Bettman at home opener
- Report: Devils' Blackwood vaccinated, to be cleared by December
- Perreault's hat trick leads Canadiens to 1st win of season