Leylah Fernandez upset by Maddison Inglis at Australian Open
Canadian tennis sensation Leylah Fernandez is out of the Australian Open after losing to Maddison Inglis in straight sets 6-4, 6-2 in a first-round showdown Tuesday.
Inglis, a native of Perth, Australia, had plenty of hometown support on her side during the upset win.
The 24-year-old used an outstanding service game to overwhelm Fernandez, landing 75% of first serves en route to her first main-draw win at a major.
Inglis also had 14 winners and saved all three break points she faced throughout the match.
This was the No. 23-ranked Fernandez's first Grand Slam appearance since she finished as the runner-up to Emma Raducanu in last year's US Open final.
Inglis is ranked No. 133 by the WTA behind four other Australian players, including No. 1-ranked Ashleigh Barty.
- Badosa, Pegula earn straight-set wins at Roland Garros
- Defending French Open champion Krejcikova stunned in 1st round
- Osaka considers skipping Wimbledon over ranking points decision
- Raducanu battles back to avoid 1st-round upset at Roland Garros
- Swiatek rolls into 2nd round in Paris with 29th straight win