Azarenka overpowers Svitolina in straight sets at Aussie Open
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Two-time Australian Open champion Victoria Azarenka is into the fourth round for the first time since 2016 after overpowering 15th-seeded Elina Svitolina 6-0, 6-2.
Azarenka accumulated nearly twice as many winners, 17, as unforced errors, nine, and never faced a break point. Svitolina made mistake after mistake, 26 unforced errors in all.
Azarenka improved to 5-0 against Svitolina.
The 24th-seeded Azarenka won the title at Melbourne Park in 2012 and 2013, and she also has been the runner-up at the U.S. Open three times, most recently in 2020.
She next will play No. 4 Barbora Krejcikova or No. 26 Jelena Ostapenko, who each has won the French Open.
Since a quarterfinal run in Australia in 2016, Azarenka lost first-round matches last year and in 2019, and missed the hard-court tournament in 2017, 2018 and 2020.
- Badosa, Pegula earn straight-set wins at Roland Garros
- Defending French Open champion Krejcikova stunned in 1st round
- Osaka considers skipping Wimbledon over ranking points decision
- Raducanu battles back to avoid 1st-round upset at Roland Garros
- Swiatek rolls into 2nd round in Paris with 29th straight win