Fan arrested after attacking Rollins at WWE show
A man was arrested Monday night in Brooklyn after attacking wrestler Seth Rollins at a WWE event, a New York Police Department spokesperson confirmed to ESPN's Marc Raimondi.
Elisah Spencer, 24, tackled Rollins during the live broadcast of Monday Night Raw at Barclays Center. A brief scuffle ensued before security and WWE officials broke them up and contained the attacker.
Spencer is being charged with attempted assault and attempted violation of arts and cultural affairs (disrupting a live sporting event), according to police.
"WWE takes the safety of its performers very seriously," the company told Raimondi in a statement. "The individual who attacked Seth Rollins has been turned over to the NYPD and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."
Around 9:20 p.m. local time, Spencer left his seat, jumped a metal barricade, and attacked Rollins, per the NYPD. Rollins suffered swelling to his lip but refused medical attention.
WWE cameras cut away from the altercation once it was clear the attack wasn't part of the script.
Rollins, a former WWE champion, has been with the promotion since 2010. The 35-year-old is considered one of the greatest in-ring performers of his generation.
- bayley Reacts To Reports That She Won't Be Back For WWE Royal Rumble - Wrestling Inc.
- Roman Reigns becomes longest-reigning Universal Champion in WWE history
- Raw Women’s Champion Becky Lynch reacts to new challenger Doudrop
- Tony Khan Responds To “Irresponsible” Eric Bischoff Comments - Wrestling Inc.
- Former WWE Star Now Accepting Bookings - Wrestling Inc.